Blogroll Page for WordPress
Over time, your WordPress blog accumulates blogroll links that limitting a fixed amount of links to show on your blog becomes your last option. If you want to share more link love to your co-bloggers, why not use a blogroll page instead?
Easier said than done, I tried looking for a widget for this purpose and found the Blogroll page widget but it wasn’t quite showing what I wanted:
Doesn’t look very appealing right?
- Using the theme editor, open up your current theme look for your Page Template file
- Copy paste the contents of the Page Template file to your text editor
- Add this to the top of the file:
- Look for a php tag with “the_content”. It may look like this:
and replace it with this:
note that you can use any argument you want. Read up on wp_list_bookmarks via the WordPress Codex
- Save the file to any .php name and upload it to your current theme folder
- Go to Write Page on your WordPress install and if you did everything right, you should find this:
- Choose a page title, select the template and add any other content you want. If you’re curious as to how it looks, check out my page here.
There you have itTags: internet, Tips, Wordpress
Thanks for this. I’ve been trying to do this for ages and ages!! So simple 😀
638ways’s last blog post..Starting Somewhere
Glad I could be of help ^^
The blogroll page plugin can’t separate the links by categories but your method can..
Thanks for your guide.. You’re the greatest! 😀
Prim3’s last blog post..Wa Bo Eng (I am not free!)
No prob hehe.
Like a charm, thanks!
You rock! I’ve been working on this for a couple days now. All the plugins I’ve found don’t work on 2.7, but this works great! Thanks!
That was straightforward. So glad I didn’t have to install another plugin. Thanks so much.
Marie´s last entry was: Girl’s Guide to Building a Million Dollar Business – Book Review
Thank you so much for this tutorial. It was just what I needed. :3
WOW! That was totally easy!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Just perfect.
My blogroll is so large that not only do I want it on it’s own page, but I’d like to break it down into two columns.
Would you have any tips on how to do that?
You can do this in 2 ways:
1. Use the parameters for wp_list_bookmarks to display half of your blogroll links on one side and the other half on the next side. This may need some tinkering.
2. Use CSS.
Stephen, Nice post. Worked mostly the way I expected it. Nice and quick.
I wanted to pull links from the posts I have created, and list them on my links page.
I am wondering if you know how to do this ?
I like your site. You sound a lot like me.
Thanks again for the tip. Works great.
Hmm.. sounds like you need to use one of the plugins that I’m using for this site.
Download and install the Internal Link Building plugin: http://seoroi.com/specialty-services/new-seo-plugin-for-wordpress-internal-link-building
To use it, you can specify keywords that will automatically get linked to posts you specify. i.e. if I have specified Free PSP Games and linked it to http://www.isosandroms.com, everything I use Free PSP Games on any post, it will automatically get linked.
Now To get the feature that you’re looking for, just iterate the links you have created (just look into how the plugin works) onto your theme directly or via the functions.php.
I’m sure there are other ways to do this much more cleanly but I sure hope it helps.