Sony officially unveils the PSP2
Sony has officially unveiled the successor to it’s portable console, the PlayStation Portable 2 or if you follow the company’s new namesake, the NGP or Next Generation Portable.
So why is it called the Next Generation Portable? The PSP2 has specs that’ll make the current high-end smartphones go shy. The PSP2 features a high-resolution, touch-sensitive OLED screen that’s larger than the original PSP screen, tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras, and a touch sensitive back panel. How powerful is it? Well if you believe Sony’s press release, they say it’s as powerful as a PlayStation 3 (of course without real benchmarks, that sounds like marketing speak no?) and there’s enough videos from the unveiling event to warrant a second look from even the most casual gamer. Why? Take a good look at that screen. Yes, it’s a lot bigger than the original 4.3″ PSP screen but it packs 4x more pixels.
No, there won’t be a UMD on the back of this thing, Sony is really dead-set on going digital (which is a good thing IMO) but it’s still unclear on what sort of flash memory is being used.
In terms of connectivity, the PlayStation Portable 2 features the all too common WiFi module and for those willing to fork out some cash for an all around cell-based internet connection, a 3G module.
PlayStation Portable 2 AKA Next Generation Portable Specifications
- CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
Too much info? Here’s an infographic brought to you by kotaku:
No world on pricing yet but the PlayStation Portable 2 will be out this holiday season in Japan. Yes, by December, Japan will be flooded with these powerful portable consoles. Capcom better have a Monster Hunter game out for the platform by then :).