Torchlight II in 2011
So you’ve played Torchlight and yet you’re still looking for that co-op feature that will simply complete the game for you?
If you can still wait another year, multi-player coop is the most touted feature for the game’s sequel, Torchlight II.
Runic says it won’t just be giving us co-op for Torchlight II, there’ll be a whole slew of other nifty stuff like LAN support, online play, and a free matchmaking peer-to-peer service so you can find other gamers to play with. The company also said that new user interface is so those just coming to the game will have no problem picking it up and playing.
“Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience,” Runic said in a statement. “Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards, and dangers.”
Quite frankly, I can’t wait.
When interviewed about system specs and price point, Runic Games’ Wonder Russell said, “The price point was really set with the idea of making Torchlight as widely available as possible, which we extend to our settings, too; we don’t use shaders, and have optimized the game to even run on a netbook. We want your granny to be able to play if she wants to.”
The appeal of Torchlight of course isn’t just because it plays well or because it’s cheap (well, maybe partly if not mostly), it’s because the game can be played on meager netbooks.
Torchlight II will be available in Spring of 2011, initially as a digital download.
Here’s some key features for Torchlight 2 as highlighted by the official site:
- Multi-player – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
- Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.
- Moddability – Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. You and your friends can download the same mod and play together!
- New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts an entirely new, improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. Thanks to this intuitive interface, players have immediate access to a rich and varied world, with little experience necessary.
- Overworld Areas – Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience.
- Random Dungeons – Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards and dangers.
- Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks onto new characters.
- Pets – Players choose a pet to accompany them. Pets level up along with the player, and help in battle, learn spells, carry items, and perform a variety of support services.
- Fishing – Fishing returns in the sequel! Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to relax by one of the many fishing holes and see what they can catch. Fish have unique benefits for the player and pet, while a number of other rewards can also be discovered
source Official Torchlight 2 siteTags: PC Games, Torchlight