Install PSP Custom Firmware 5.03 GEN-A via ChickHEN R2
Homebrew can now run on the PSP-3000 or PSP-2000 with TA-088v3 thanks to PSPGEN and Team Typhoon. The chickHen hack allows you to run Homebrew on both PSP models and custom firmware 5.03 Gen-A lets you play your games from ISO/CSO files.
Interested yet? Read ON.
Update: This guide is sorely outdated. If you please refer to this new guide instead : Install Signed 5.03 Hen + 5.03 GEN-C on your PSP. It’s much simpler to follow and will help you install 5.03 GEN-C and the Prometheus-4 module.
Update: After installing 5.03 GEN-A, please install the 5.03 GEN-C update or 5.03 Prometheus for the the best compatibility with the latest games.
On this guide, we will help install 5.03 GEN-A on your PSP. There is no danger of bricking your PSP unless you deviate from the instructions listed below. Unlike custom firmware for hackable PSPs, the danger of bricking your PSP-3000 / PSP-2000 TA-088v3 is quite real. If you’re not sure about a step, take the time to post a question.
Do note that if you have official firmware 5.50 or higher installed, stop now. You can’t install the chickHen hack which means you can’t install 5.03 GEN-A.
- A PSP-3000 or PSP-2000 with TA-088v3 motherboard.
- Davee’s chickHen installed and running
- Download: 5.03 GEN-A
- Back up your save files (so that if they get corrupted, you still have backups)
How to Install Custom Firmware 5.03GEN-A for ChickHEN
How to Install 5.03 GEN-A
- Connect your PSP to the computer in USB Mode when you have loaded ChickHEN R2.
- Unzip the file you’ve downloaded on your computer
- Run the LAUNCH-ME.exe (GUI) Application
- PSP Model : choose your PSP PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 (shown below)
- PSP 2000 = Slim and Lite
- PSP 3000 = Brite
- Choose the option ‘FULL’ under Mode
- Choose the option ‘Yes’ under PSP Install
- PSP Drive Unit: Type the letter of your PSP’s Drive. Do not “:” but just the letter (example, the PSP is recognized G)
- press START , and the files will be patched and copied to the Memory Stick.
- Disconnect the PSP from USB.
- Launch the homebrew file ‘INSTALLER-LOADER’ under ‘GAME > Memory Stick’.
- When the app load, press L or R to flash the firmware in your flash. You will see this screen again but only to load the 5.03 custom firmware
- After the flash done, press O [it's the circle button] to reboot in the custom firmware.
- After the PSP reboot, you are finish installation proses. Now your firmware is 5.03 GEN-A(full).
After installing 5.03 GEN-A, please proceed to install 5.03 GEN-B .
Help! 503.pbp is corrupted, I can’t run it.
If you’re experiencing this problem, rename the 503.pbp to EBOOT.pbp. (Do this ONLY if you’re experiencing the problem indicated)
No risk of brick in normal use
Custom Firmware 5.03GEN for HEN-A can not brick your console during the installation. Understand that the
Custom Firmware 5.03GEN for HEN-A adds the files it needs but does not those of the official firmware 5.03.
Once installed, as it is a Custom Firmware, you have access to the flash0 of your console.
DO NOT TOUCH THE FLASH0
Don’t EVER load the flasher to flash0 of your PSP. Do not edit any files of OFW 5.03. If you do then congratulations, you’ve just bricked your PSP. If you manage to brick your PSP installing custom firmware (which as stated above is not possible under NORMAL usage), you need to talk to Sony and I’m sure they’ll be happy to take in your case (NOT!)
DON’T TURN OFF YOUR PSP.
You can put your PSP to sleep/standyby but don’t allow it to drain it’s battery to 0%. If you do, you will need to you will need use again ChickHEN R2 to load the main app and press ( ) to reboot in the custom firmware.
After installation, remove the “files” folder in the MS ROOT. For your own safety, is better that you rename or erase the prx called “flasher.prx” in the MAIN APP folder to avoid wrong flash times.
To be updated with a proper list.
All this is thanks to GENyUS and PSPGen.com.Tags: 5.03 GEN-A, ChickHEN, Custom Firmware, Playstation Portable