Custom Firmware 3.90 M33 brings VoIP
Hmm.. while my net connection was out (both of them, Globe and PLDT) Dark Alex (or team M33) has released the latest version of PSP’s firmware. What I like about the new firmware? Mm… Skype ^^ It’s basically VoIP on the go. On that note, you might be interested on some predictions on how VoIP is going to change how we know gaming.
Now I’ll trade shelf my current Phillips headphones and by a for-Skype one or get one of those cheap heatsets.
- PSP Phat or PSP Slim with 3.52 M33-4 or higher.
- PSP battery that’s at least 78% full
- The 3.90 M33 | Mirror1 | Mirror 2 installation file
- Set the kernel to 3.80: do this by (hard) booting your psp while holding the R button. Go to Configuration, look for the kernel configuration and set it to 3.52
- If you want to install the 1.50 kernel on your PSP Phat you can download the 3.90 version from any of these sites QJ-Net or PSP-Hacks
Now thanks to the M33 team’s foresight, you now have 2 options to install the new firmware, you can do it either manually (the old fashioned way) or automatically via network update.
Manual Installation of 3.90 M33 :
- Extract the 3.90 M33 files to your computer.
- Copy the Update folder to X:/PSP/GAME/ on your PSP’s memory stick.
- Download the official 3.90 firmware and rename the EBOOT.PBP to 390.PBP.
- Copy the 380.PBP to the directory; X:/PSP/GAME/ on your PSP’s memory stick.
- Run 3.90 UPDATE from under Game on your PSP’s XMB
- Press X if asked to correct idstorage keys
- Continue to install the official 3.90 SONY when prompted
- After all process is complete, press X. Your PSP will reboot.
- Congratulations, you’ve just installed 3.90 M33
Automatic Installation of 3.90 M33:
Note that this feature that is only available to 3.80 M33 or higher.
Go to System -> Network Update. If have configured a proper wireless connection, your PSP will connect to the internet and download things automatically. If thereÂ´s any update (bugfix or new firmwares) available, it will download it and ask if you want to run it straightaway or otherwise it will tell you to run it via the Game menu.
The Network Update feature will allow you to 3.80 M33 to 3.90 M33, downloading both the M33 patch and the Official SONY v3.90 Firmware Update EBOOT in the process. Interesting huh?
Here’s a couple of screens of 3.90 M33 on my PSP Slim
Skype on my PSP’s XMB
Installing the 1.50 Kernel compatibility (FOR PSP Phat ONLY)
Note: This update is totaly independent of the 3.90 M33 version installed (1, 2, or future ones).
- Download the 1.50 Kernel addon for 3.90.
- Uncompress the file and copy the “150k_Addon” folder to X:/PSP/GAME/
- Download the 1.50 Official SONY Update, unzip and rename the EBOOT.PBP file to 150.PBP. Then copy it into the root of your Memory Stick.
- Run the 1.50 Kernel Installer for 3.90 M33 from under Game on your PSP’s XMB
- The updater will remind you that once installed you will loose the Location Free Player and Korean font. Press X to agree, and the Update will be installed.
- After installation, your fat PSP will now be able to execute homebrew applications based in 1.50 Kernel. (Remember that by default all 1.50 Kernel Homebrew should be installed in the X :/PSP/GAME150/ folder).
So what’s changed in 3.90 M33?
- Now uses 3.90 firmware
- March33 NO UMD: fixed (yet another) bug related with exiting with home. (infinite semaphore wait)
- The degeneration check and correction of IDS keys happens too in 3.71 now.
- Added code to download 3.90 PBP from net via wifi. Note that his code is not yet 100% stable, it may crash when selecting AP. In that case,reinit the installer.
- L+triangle has been restored as method to bypass battery. If you already have 390.PBP keep those buttons pressed until you see “Veryfing 390.PBP”. If the 390.PBP is being downloaded bia wifi, press those buttons at the end of download until you see the previous sentence.