Windows XP SP3 leaked details
It’s been a long time coming but Window’s XP Service Pack 3 is coming.As with SP2, Service Pack 3 will consist mainly of previously-released hot fixes and security patches so you don’t have to install SP1, SP2 THEN SP3. Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 will also be included by default.
So what’s new with SP3? There will be some changes like backported features from Windows Vista, Network Access Protection which is also present on the not-yet-finalized Windows Server 2008, a kernel module containing several encryption algorithms for third-party developers. Also, instead of asking for the product key before installation, you will need to enter it after all processes have been done, probably during the first boot.
Microsoft has released a deployment schedule for SP3 which is as follows:
First Build (Technical Beta)
- available only to vendors for internal tests
- released since August 2007
Second Build (Public Beta)
- available to the public for beta testing
- to be released in mid-September
Third & Fourth Builds
- these will be Release Candidates 1 & 2
- to be released over the last 3 months of 2007
Final Build (Release To Manufacturing)
- tentatively scheduled for release in the first half of 2008.
I’ll be waiting for Public Beta like everyone in the development community.Tags: Windows