Sony’s PlayStation 3 Slim Unveiled
Sony has officially announced the PlayStation 3 Slim confirming what the internet has been buzzing about for quite some time now. It will retail for $100 less than the older model (which is also getting a nifty discount as per the rumors of a 2009 PlayStation 3 Price Cut) albeit looking a bit less shiny.
PlayStation 3 Slim details
The slim model comes with a 120GB drive, will be 32% smaller, 36% lighter and draws 34% less power. Numbers aside, here’s some quick facts you may want to know:
- NOT backwards compatible with the PS2
- Has 2 USB slots and no card slots
- Still supports optical audio, HDMI, Ethernet and Wireless, and Blu Ray
- If you have a Sony Bravia TV, the TV will be able to shut the PlayStation 3 off when the TV is powered down.
- Includes an HDMI cable in the package
- Features the new PlayStation logo (from PLAYSTATION 3 to PlayStation 3), which uses a new font
The PS3 Slim will be available on the first week of September.
As for the PlayStation 3 Phat? It drops price to $300 (same as the slim model) for the 80GB and the 160 GB version at $400.
The unveiling of the PS3 Slim is simply quite timely. Firstly, with the September release, it basically ruins my plans of getting a Zune HD at launch date. And secondly, I’m now officially confused on whether to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360.. again 🙁 Budget-wise, I may end up going for the PS3 Slim. What about you guys? Do you think the PS3 Slim is worth it?
I’ve also added official pictures courtesy of SCEE.PlayStation 3, PlayStation 3 Slim, PS3, PS3 Slim