Valve releases Alien Swarm for free on Steam
Valve gives yet another game away. This time around it’s Alien Swarm, a futuristic first-person top-down shoot-em-up shooter computer game with roots from a mod of the same name for Unreal Tournament 2004. In case you we’re wondering, the guys who developed the mod were hired by Valve and they’re the guys behind this standalone game.
You have a choice of 4 IAF Marine role classes, each with two selectable characters and access to an arsenal of 40-types of weapons. Like Team Fortress 2, Alien Swarm players can play in either Campaign Mode and Offline Practice Mode.
Features of Alien Swarm include:
- Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
- Complete game code and mod tools
- Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
- Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
- 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
- Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
- 64 achievements
- Tile-based map generation tool
- Powered by Source and Steam
The trailer for the game is embedded below:
Alien Swarm is released for free to Steam players on any Windows OS and supports Xb0x 360 controllers. No word on the Mac OS X version.
Alien Swarm download will unlock and live from July 19, 2010, 8 PM GMT. Official website and forums (good for finding gamers to play as team) is hosted at http://www.alienswarm.com/.
For more info, check out the game at it’s steam page: Alien SwarmTags: Alien Swarm, Freebies, Steam