Install PSP Custom Firmware 5.03 GEN-C via ChickHEN R2
True to their word, the GEN Team has now released Custom Firmware 5.03 GEN-C. It’s an update to their existing line of 5.03-based firmwares (5.03 GEN-A and 5.03 GEN-B) that will allow you to play games that require upto 6.10 without running the decrypter to patch the game.
Update: This guide is sorely outdated. If you please refer to this new guide instead : Install Signed 5.03 Hen + 5.03 GEN-C on your PSP.
On this guide, we will help install 5.03 GEN-C on your PSP. There is no danger of bricking your PSP unless you deviate from the instructions listed below. Unlike custom firmware for hackable PSPs, the danger of bricking your PSP-3000 / PSP-2000 TA-088v3 is quite real. If you’re not sure about a step, take the time to post a question.
Do note that if you have official firmware 5.50 or higher installed, stop now. You can’t install the chickHen hack which means you can’t install 5.03 GEN-C.
- A PSP-3000 or PSP-2000 with TA-088v3 motherboard.
- A PSP with ChickHen R2 up and running
- Download: 5.03 GEN-C
- Back up your save files (so that if they get corrupted, you still have backups)
How to Install Custom Firmware 5.03 GEN-C for ChickHEN
Before you proceed to installing custom firmware 5.03 GEN-C, you need to install ChickHen R2 on your PSP first. Just click the picture on the right to install ChickHen R2 and comeback here to finish the installation.
How to Install 5.03 GEN-C
- Make sure your PSP has ChickHen R2 installed. You won’t be able to install 5.03 GEN-C without it.
- Extract the 5.03 GEN-C files to your computer.
- Copy the PSP folder to your PSP’s memory stick. (Yes, just drag the whole folder there)
- Disconnect the PSP from USB
- Run 5.03 GEN-C Updater from under Game on your PSP’s XMB
- After all process is complete, press X. Your PSP will reboot.
- Congratulations, you’ve just installed 5.03 GEN-C.
Important Note: If this is NOT the first time that you’ll be install 5.03 GEN-C (meaning you accidentally turned off your PSP and had to reload 5.03 GEN-C again), hold the L trigger (Left shoulder button) when running the updater.
- Compatible with the PSP-3000 and PSP-2000 v3 official firmware 5.03
- Play backups of games that REQUIRE PSP firmware 6.10 and above
- Reading UMD that that REQUIRE PSP firmware 6.10 and above
- Reading UMD / ISO games protected against the custom firmware. Playing UMD / ISO games protected against the custom firmware.
- Play PS1 games
- GEN VSH MENU available (SELECT)
- Recovery in VSH Recovery available in VSH available
- Reading Reading Homebrews
- VSH menu is mixed up
If you experience problems like non-working games, or games that give the error “game could not be started” try the following:
Make sure your UMD mode is set to M33 driver
- On your XMB, press select, to access the VSH menu
- Select M33 driver for the UMD mode option as shown below:
- Go to the recovery menu
- Go to advance setting > disable all options
- Your games will be playable now